Lawyer Vu Phuong Trang has over 11 years’ experience and her expertise covers most aspect of maritime law with particular emphasis on sale and purchase (both contentious and non-contentious) and newbuilding contracts, carriage of goods by sea, charter party and bill of lading disputes. She has worked closely with in-house counsels of major shipping companies located in Vietnam, claim handlers of leading P&I Club and H&M underwriters as well as their correspondents around the world and provided them with key advices, prompt assistances and strong supports on their daily works.
She has supported domestic and foreign clients in numerous matters such as: labour, tax, import and export tariff, customs procedure, business establishment, corporate governance and organization and dissolution and bankruptcy. She has also acted as protecting lawyer and authorized representative for many foreign clients at Vietnamese courts.
· Assisted foreign shipowners to negotiate and settle G/A claims with local insurers;
· Represented shipowner and P&I Club in various cases of cargo claim, arrest and release, and claim in tort;
· Assisted 2 shipbuyers and their banks to negotiate with local shipyards on the terms of shipbuilding agreements and relevant licenses for operation of their ship/river cruises in Mekong River;
· Assisted various foreign shipowners & P&I Clubs to settle cargo claims (shortage and damage) with various local cargo insurers/owners;
· Assisting a Swiss group in the cases of Application for the recognition and enforcement of 07 awards of the International Cotton Associations in Vietnam with the total value of these awards is more than 21 million USD;
· Assisted buyers and buyers’ banks in various S&P and Shipbuilding deals with Vinashin and its subsidiaries around Vietnam;
· Assisted shipyards and builders’ bank to negotiate with local and foreign buyers;
· Assist a German shipowner and a leading P&I Club to negotiate with local parties (a shipowner and an insurer) in relation to a collision;
· Assisted our Singaporean shipowner to enforce an ad hoc arbitral award against a local charterer and obtaining a High Court’s order to recognize the award;
· Assisted a Korean shipowner to protect the carrier’s position local courts against the shipper’s wrongful claim arising from under some Bs/L for carriage of 80 containers of rice from Saigon of Vietnam to Tema of Ghana.
· Assisted a Swiss group in the cases of Application for the recognition and enforcement of 07 awards of the International Cotton Associations in Vietnam with the total value of these awards is more than 21 million USD
· 25 October 2013 to date: Partner – Head of Branch of Dzungsrt & Associates LLC in Ho Chi Minh City.
· September 2012 to date: Lawyer of Branch of Dzungsrt & Associates LLC in Ho Chi Minh City.
· August 2011 – September 2012: Lawyer and member of Vietnam Business Law Firm (VB Law – formerly known as DC Law), a 3rd tier firm in real estate and construction and a 4th tier firm in corporate and M&A recommended by Legal 500.
· 2007 – July 2011: Associate at DC Law
· 2006 – 2007: Trainee at Dzungsrt & Associates
Co-author of the Vietnam Chapter of Getting the Deal Through 2013 & 2014 editions – published by Law Business Research Ltd in 2013 & 2014
· 9 March 2017 Commodities Workshop hosted jointly between HFW and GAFTA, Vietnam
24 September 2014: Vietnam CEO Forum
· 16 July and 3 September 2014: Conference on amendments of the Law on Enterprises of Vietnam in 2005
Membership of Professional Associations
· Member – Bar Association of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
· 25 July 2011 Lawyer License issued by the Vietnam Bar Federation
· 21 April 2011 Practising License issued by the Minister of Justice of Vietnam.
· 14 April 2006 LL.B. issued by the Hochiminh City University of Law, Vietnam.
· Born in 1983 at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
· Citizenship: Vietnamese
· Languages: Vietnamese as native language