Nguyen Thi Thu Trang
- LLM– Postgraduate LLM in Business, Corporate and Maritime Law, major in Arbitration and Business law- Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands;
- BA- International Law- Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, Vietnam;
- BA- Hanoi Law University, Vietnam;
- STAC Arbitration Panelist
- Certificate for participating the PIDA training on international commercial arbitration of ICC, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam in April 2019.
- Certificate for participating in the Advanced Summer Course- 2014 session of Arbitration Academy in Paris;
- Certificate for participating in the advanced workshop on “Enforcement of international arbitration agreements and awards” granted by Vietnam- Singapore Training Centre in Hanoi, 2011;
- Member of Young ICCA [under the auspices of the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)].
- Member – Young SIAC [under the auspices of the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC)
Nguyen Thi Thu Trang is a special arbitration counsel in Dzungsrt & Associates LLC – Hanoi Office for over 10 years. Her practice focuses on Commercial and Investment Arbitration, Commercial and Enforcement Litigation, and International Business Law. For four consecutive years, Ms. Trang has been recognized as one of the “Next Generation Partners” in Dispute Resolution in Vietnam in 2019 and 2020 and “Leading Individual” in 2021 and 2022 by Legal 500 Asia Pacific. She was also listed in The Arbitration Powerlist: Southeast Asia 2022.
She obtained her LL.M Degree in Business, Corporate and Maritime Law with a focus on International Arbitration and Business Law under the supervision of famous arbitrators Albert Jan Van den Berg and Filip Dely at Erasmus School of Law – Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands, which is ranked in the top 2% of the world’s best universities. Recently, she has successfully defended her Ph.D. thesis on the Judicial support of Vietnamese courts in arbitration at the Graduate Academy of Social Sciences in Vietnam.
As a key member of the Arbitration & ADR Group in Dzungsrt & Associates LLC, Ms. Trang has extensive experience in many arbitrations with total value worth millions of USD conducted at ICC, SIAC, HKIAC and VIAC and arising from:
- international trade
- construction and infrastructure projects
- energy sector
- investment arbitration and
- recognition and enforcement of various institutional and ad-hoc foreign arbitral awards in Vietnam.
Trang is the co-author of a number of publications on Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) and also contributed to the draft of the Supreme People Court’s Resolution No.01/2014 guiding law on commercial arbitration in 2014 as well as the draft of Part VII on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in the 2015 Civil Procedure Code of Vietnam.
In addition, Trang has actively involved in arbitration moot activities and arbitration training. She has coached students of the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam and Hanoi Law University for arbitration moot competitions and arbitrated in several moot competitions such as CISG and FDI Moot. She also a member of the local steering committee for the first YICCA workshop in Hanoi in 2019 and one of the key moderators of the Young Vietnam ADR Group under the auspices of VIAC.
International Commercial Arbitration involving construction, energy, retailers and international sale disputes:
- An ICC arbitration of under USD 500 million involving an oil and gas contract;
- A VIAC arbitration of over USD 100 million involving the construction of one of the tallest and most well-known skyscrapers in Vietnam;
- A VIAC arbitration of USD 10 million dispute between a Korean contractor, and its employer, one of the largest State-owned company;
- A VIAC arbitration of USD 40 million dispute between a very well-known foreign invested retailer and the lessor of one of its supermarkets.
- A Court Proceedings relating to an ICC arbitration between a Japanese contractor and a local government authority on an infrastructure project in Ho Chi Minh City;
- An ICC arbitration regarding an oil-refinery project in the middle of Vietnam;
- A SIAC arbitration between a Korean company and a Vietnamese company regarding a share sale-purchase agreement;
- A SIAC arbitration between a Vietnamese trading company against the international seller in a sale contract.
- Multiple claims involving international sales and distribution contracts at VIAC.
Recognition and Enforcement:
- More than 20 arbitral awards worth US$ millions rendered by the SIAC, ICA, HKIAC, KCAB and GAFTA at provincial and high courts in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Thai Binh, Long An, Binh Duong, etc.
- Commenting for arbitration rules of Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (VIAC), Rules and Charter of Pacific International Arbitration Centre (PIAC);
- Giving opinions on the draft of the Resolution 01/2014 of the Supreme People’ Court of Vietnam on guiding some provisions of Law on Commercial Arbitration of Vietnam;
- Commentary on the draft of the Chapter on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in the 2015 Civil Procedure Code of Vietnam;
- Providing opinion on the draft of Resolution of the Supreme People’ Court of Vietnam on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards;
- Many advices regarding the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards in Vietnam, the arbitration procedures at VIAC and under Vietnamese laws
- Advices regarding the bankruptcy procedures under Vietnamese laws
- Many advices regarding ship arrests, ship finance, and limitation of liabilities of carriers under Vietnamese laws.
- Vietnam Chapter in International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration, ICCA & Kluwer Law International, 2020 (Published) (Co-author)
- International Investment Dispute Resolution in Vietnam: Opportunities and Challenges in Julien Chaisse and Luke Nottage, International Investment Treaties and Arbitration Across Asia, Brill Nijhoff, 2018, p. 280-302, (Co-author)
- The Vietnam Chapter on Recognition and Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters, Anselmo Reyes (ed.), Bloomsbury, 2019, (Co-author)
- Vietnam Chapter in The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2016 and 2018, 2019 and 2021 of Global Arbitration Review, Law Business Research LTD (UK) (Co-author)
- Vietnam Chapter in ICC Guide to National Procedures for Recognition and Enforcement of Awards under the New York Convention, 2018 (Co-author)
- The national report of Vietnam on the concept of “Arbitrability” under the New York Convention, IBA Subcommittee on Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards, September 2016 (Co-author)
- The national report of Vietnam on the Public Policy Exception under the New York Convention, IBA Subcommittee on Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards, 2016 (Co-author)
- Vietnam Chapter in Getting the Deal Through – Arbitration 2012 (Published) and Getting the Deal Through – Arbitration 2013 (Published) (Global Arbitration Review), Law Business Research LTD (UK) (Co-author)
- “Treaty Investment Arbitration” in The Workshop “Resolution of International Trade and Business Disputes” in 10 February 2012 within framework of the action of the 2nd component of the EU- Vietnam (Multilateral Trade Assistance Project) MUTRAP III project (Co-author)
- Thực Trạng Pháp Luật Việt Nam Về Thẩm Quyền Hỗ Trợ Tư Pháp Của Tòa Án Liên Quan Đến Áp Dụng Biện Pháp Khẩn Cấp Tạm Thời Trong Tố Tụng Trọng Tài, Tạp Chí Nhân Lực Và Khoa Học Xã Hội, Số 1/2020.
- Các Giải Pháp Nâng Cao Chất Lượng Thực Hiện Thẩm Quyền Hỗ Trợ Tư Pháp Của Tòa Án Việt Nam Đối Với Trọng Tài Thương Mại, Tạp Chí Nhân Lực Và Khoa Học Xã Hội, số 6/2020.
- The Interpretation And Application Of The New York Convention 1958 For Recognition And Enforcement Of Foreign Arbitral Awards In Vietnam. Journal of Critical Review, 7 (5), p. 2191-2197, (2020) (Co-author).
- Thẩm quyền hỗ trợ tư pháp của Tòa án Việt Nam đối với trọng tài thương mại, Luận án tiến sĩ, Hà Nội, 2021.
- Next Generation Partner in Arbitration-Vietnam in 2019 and 2020 by Legal 500 Asia Pacific)
- Leading Individual in Arbitration-Vietnam in 2021 and 2022 by Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Listed in The Arbitration Powerlist: Southeast Asia 2022
- Moderator of Young Vietnam ADR Group.
- Invited Lecturer at VIARB
- Invited Arbitrators at FDI and CIGS moot courts in Vietnam
- Speaking at VIAC-Arbitration Series on Multi-tier Dispute Resolution (10/06/2021)
- Speaking at Conference on International Experiences in developing arbitration in the context of international economic integration (“Kinh nghiệm nước ngoài, quốc tế trong việc phát triển trọng tài trong bối cảnh hội nhập kinh tế quốc tế”) (December 2020).
- Speaking at the conference on ‘Dispute resolution by Online Arbitration’ organised by MOJ
- Coaching Vis moot teams of Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam from 2015 to date.
- Participating in the 21st Willem C. Vis Moot Competition on International Commercial Arbitration in Vienna, 2014
- Participating in the Eighth Willem C. Vis (East) Moot Competition on International Commercial Arbitration in Hong Kong, 2012