Energy & Natural Resource
Infrastructure & Construction
Logistic & Supply chain
Trading & Commodities
BA - Hanoi Law University, Vietnam,
LLM – Postgraduate LLM in Business, Corporate and Maritime Law, and major in Arbitration and Business law- Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands,
PhD Candidate at Graduate Academy of Social Sciences of Vietnam,
Certificate for participating in the advanced workshop on the “Enforcement of international arbitration agreements and awards” granted by Vietnam - Singapore Training Centre in Hanoi (2011),
Certificate for participating in the Advanced Summer Course - 2014 session of Arbitration Academy in Paris,
Certificate for participating in the PIDA training on international commercial arbitration of ICC, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (April 2019),
Member of Young ICCA [under the auspices of the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)],
Member – Young SIAC [under the auspices of the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC)].
Nguyen Thi Thu Trang has been a Special Arbitration Counsel at Dzungsrt & Associates’ Hanoi Office for over 9 years.
She specialises in:
- Commercial and Investment Arbitration,
- Commercial and Enforcement Litigation,
- International Business Law.
As a notable member of the Arbitration and ADR Group in Dzungsrt & Associates, Trang has extensive experience with a multitude of arbitrations (conducted at the ICC, SIAC, HKIAC and VIAC) in regards to construction and infrastructure projects, energy sector, retailers and international trade. In addition to this, Trang has been involved in the recognition and enforcement of various institutional and ad-hoc foreign arbitral awards, worth millions of US dollars, located in Vietnam.
Trang’s exceptional knowledge and experience has allowed her to:
- Resolve disputes following the arrest of ships,
- Handle cases in relation to charterparties, bills of lading and other carriage contracts,
- Providing comprehensive and specialist advice to clients in high value shipping projects.
Trang has actively played a part in striving to improve the legal landscape in Vietnam, such as:
- Participated in arbitration moot activities and arbitration training,
- Coached students from the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam and Hanoi Law University for arbitration moot competitions,
- Arbitrated in several moot competitions – e.g., CISG and FDI Moot,
- Member of the local steering committee for the first YICCA workshop in Hanoi (2019),
- Key moderators of Young Vietnam ADR Group under the auspices of VIAC.
After obtaining an LL.M Degree in Business, Corporate and Maritime Law, with a focus on International Arbitration and Business Law, at the Erasmus School of Law – Erasmus University, Rotterdam (ranked top 2% of the world’s best universities), Trang was also well educated in regards to the carriage of goods and attended many workshops at the Rotterdam port and AKD law firm. She is currently researching on the judical support of Vietnamese courts in arbitration at the Graduate Academy of Social Sciences in Vietnam for her PhD.
Trang has co-authored a number of publications on Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) and contributed to a draft of the Supreme People’s Court Resolution No. 01/2014 guiding law on Commercial Arbitration, as well as the draft resolution for the Part VII on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in the 2015 Procedure Code of Vietnam.
International Commercial Arbitration involving construction, energy, retailers and international sale disputes
- An ICC arbitration of under USD 500 million involving an oil and gas contract,
- A VIAC arbitration of over USD 100 million involving the construction of one of the tallest skyscrapers in Vietnam,
- A VIAC arbitration of USD 10 million dispute between a Korean contractor, and its employer – one of the largest State-owned companies,
- A VIAC arbitration of USD 40 million dispute between a well-known foreign invested retailer and the lessor of one of its supermarkets,
- A court proceeding related to an ICC arbitration between a Japanese contractor and a local government authority on an infrastructure project in Ho Chi Minh City,
- An ICC arbitration regarding an oil-refinery project in the middle of Vietnam,
- An SIAC arbitration between a Korean company and a Vietnamese company regarding a share sale-purchase agreement,
- An SIAC arbitration involving a Vietnamese trading company and an international seller in a sale contract,
- Multiple claims involving international sales and distribution contracts at VIAC.
Recognition and Enforcement
- More than 10 arbitral awards worth USD millions were rendered by the SIAC, ICA, HKIAC, KCAB and GAFTA at provincial and high courts in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Thai Binh, Long An, Binh Duong, etc.
- Commented on arbitration rules for the Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (VIAC) and Rules and Charter of Pacific International Arbitration Centre (PIAC),
- Gave an opinion on the draft of the Resolution 01/2014 of the Supreme People’ Court of Vietnam, on guiding provisions of Law on Commercial Arbitration of Vietnam,
- Remarked on the draft of the Chapter on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in the 2015 Civil Procedure Code of Vietnam,
- Provided an opinion on the draft of Resolution of the Supreme People’ Court of Vietnam on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards,
- Advised on multiple recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards in Vietnam, the arbitration procedures at VIAC and under Vietnamese laws,
- Gave guidance in regards to the bankruptcy procedures under Vietnamese laws,
- Advised on numerous ship arrests, ship finance, and limitation of liabilities of carriers under Vietnamese laws.
- The Vietnam Chapter in the International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration, ICCA & Kluwer Law International, 2020 (Published – co-author),
- International Investment Dispute Resolution in Vietnam: Opportunities and Challenges in Julien Chaisse and Luke Nottage, 2018, p. 280-302, ( International Investment Treaties and Arbitration Across Asia, Brill Nijhoff – co-author),
- The Vietnam Chapter on Recognition and Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters, Anselmo Reyes (ed.), 2019 (Bloomsbury – co-author),
- The Vietnam Chapter in The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2016 and 2018, 2019 and 2021 of Global Arbitration Review, (Law Business Research LTD (UK) – co-author),
- The Vietnam Chapter in ICC Guide to National Procedures for Recognition and Enforcement of Awards under the New York Convention, 2018 (co-author),
- The national report of Vietnam on the concept of “Arbitrability” under the New York Convention, September 2016 (IBA Subcommittee on Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards – co-author)
- The national report of Vietnam on the Public Policy Exception under the New York Convention, 2016 (IBA Subcommittee on Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards – co-author)
- The Vietnam Chapter in Getting the Deal Through – Arbitration 2012 (Published) and Getting the Deal Through – Arbitration 2013 (Published) (Global Arbitration Review, Law Business Research LTD (UK) – co-author)
- “Treaty Investment Arbitration” in The Workshop “Resolution of International Trade and Business Disputes” on 10 February 2012 in regards to the 2nd component of the EU- Vietnam (Multilateral Trade Assistance Project, MUTRAP III project – co-author)